Holiday Tips from John Lawson:
- When Amazon moved their Prime Day back from July to October, it really changed the holiday shopping season. Other retailers followed them, and I think a lot of Christmas shopping was done ahead of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday. It’s important for small retailers to understand the landscape in December.
- There are a few key shipping dates this month. Friday, December 18th is the last day a retailer can send out packages and expect delivery by Christmas Eve (the following Thursday). They can get two day express on Monday, possibly Tuesday, but it will be VERY expensive and may not arrive on time.
- If your store is open for business, it is critical that your customers see that you are taking EVERY precaution to keep them safe. You can even promote your safety as a marketing tool. The key word for this holiday shopping period is “contactless.” Whether it is in-store pickup or at-home delivery, consumers want the option of contactless purchases.
- This year show your workers how much you appreciate the risks they took and the help they provided in keeping your doors open. And then do the same for your customers.
- John’s bonus tip: Send out Christmas cards with actual handwritten notes in them to your best customers, partners, vendors, and people who helped make your year a successful one. They will definitely appreciate the gesture.